Skip to Content

Divorce and Family Law

Main Content

Specialty Family Law Services

Family Law covers many issues and situations including divorce, legal separation, child support, custody and adoptions. The Law Office of John A. Best has experience with all aspects of Family Law. It may be comforting to discuss family problems with a close friend or relative and get their support, but it is in your best interest to get unbiased, professional guidance from an experienced Family Law attorney.

Divorce and Family Law

Open AllClose All

As with a divorce, a Legal Separation can be done pro se or with an attorney. Many of the same procedures are followed and the same concerns and problems arise as in a divorce. The major difference between a separation and a divorce is that the parties to a legal separation remain legally married.

Collaborative Divorce

Alternative for Divorcing couples

The Law Office of John A. Best knows divorce can be a difficult exercise in restructuring the family. In a Collaborative Divorce we focus on the interests of all family members with a special focus on the children.

It's a unique, reasonable approach to handling a divorce or other family law matter, founded on three core principles:

  • a written pledge not to fight in court, and withdrawal of the hired professionals if either party chooses to fight in court
  • open communication between the parties with an honest and good faith exchange of information
  • negotiations leading to a mutually acceptable settlement that takes into account the highest priorities of all family members


At the The Law Office of John A. Best we help divorcing and separating couples and families reach agreements through dialogue with full legal support from trained professionals.

With the help of practical long terms solutions, we can assist you and your family in moving forward. Our process can result in a better quality outcome with less stress and greater control than going to court.

Call or contact us for your initial consultation. We can help.


When you decide to proceed with a divorce there is a big question that arises;

Can I do it on my own or do I need to hire an attorney? It is possible to do a divorce pro se. However you might end up with an uneven split of property or lose out on your share of a retirement account. In Wisconsin all divorces are "no fault," meaning there is no blame put on any party for the dissolution of a marriage. Therefore all divorce proceedings focus on splitting marital assets and debt, the care and support of minor children and to determine if either party qualifies for maintenance.

The West Bend attorneys at the Law Office of John A. Best know there is no simple divorce, especially if there are children involved. There are many "gray areas" that we can guide you through for the best end result. A divorce is very emotional for both parties. That is why hiring an experienced attorney at the Law Office of John A. Best will be your first step in the right direction towards a new life. Please contact us for a consultation.

Custody and Child Support

Some of the most important decisions divorcing parents must make involve child support and child custody.

When two people have children together but then split apart, they will always remain somewhat connected because of the children. Custody and Child Support issues can continue until your children reach adulthood, and this can be very frustrating. The Law Office of John Best can help you work through the issues that have arisen. Wisconsin has guidelines to follow to determine child support. It is a good starting point but certain factors can alter the final amount. We take into consideration all issues and will argue for a reasonable child support figure. Once child support has been set it does not mean it is for life. Circumstances can change through the years and an experienced attorney can assist you in requesting the necessary change in child support.

When the Court determines custody of the minor children they look at what is in the best interest of the child. That may be accurate at the time of the divorce/separation, but circumstances change. The custodial parent may have been evicted and is homeless, or is in trouble with the law and maybe even spending time in jail or prison, or just plain is not giving the proper care and attention to the children. Custody can be changed and the Law Office of John A. Best can present the facts to the Court and argue your case for a change of placement. This is not an easy task, but with an experienced attorney by your side in court your chances of winning are far greater.

Please contact us for a consultation


Divorce Order Contempt Of Court

Unfortunately, not everyone obeys the Court's orders. As a result, it is often necessary to file a contempt action to encourage an ex-spouse to follow the court's order. A person not following any Order of the Court is in contempt. If you are in a situation where someone is not complying with an Order we can help you rectify the matter.Contact the Law Office of John A. Best and scheduled an appointment to meet with a knowledgeable attorney to review your case.


Adoption, the right attorney can be essential for the right plan that suits your family.

When a person decides to adopt a child they must understand it is not a speedy process. There are many steps in the adoption process. The biological parent(s) is still the legal guardian of the child, the biological parent(s) must be notified and Termination of Parental Rights must be initiated. The Court will also order evaluations to be completed on the adopting parties and interviews of all interested parties are done.

Contact the Law Office of John A. Best for a consultation.


Marriage, adoption, divorce, custody and child support are now issues that affect same-sex couples in the same ways as their opposite-sex counterparts.  Whether you need an officiant for your wedding or an attorney to assist with a legal issue, the Law Office of John A. Best is available to help.  We have worked tirelessly to obtain equal treatment for all in family court.

In addition to family matters, we are also able to assist transgender clients with name change petitions as well as updating and correcting documents.