Skip to Content

Iron County Wisconsin Attorney Criminal Defense Law

Main Content

Bayfield County Wisconsin Legal Services | Law Office of John A. Best

When you need a lawyer, you need the best. For over 30 years John A Best has helped people with family issues, legal problems, rmediation and real estate law.

We will give you honest answers to your questions and our experience will offer you the best possible outcome.

Call or contact us for your initial consultation. We can help.

Divorce and Family Law

Open AllClose All

As with a divorce, a Legal Separation can be done pro se or with an attorney. Many of the same procedures are followed and the same concerns and problems arise as in a divorce. The major difference between a separation and a divorce is that the parties to a legal separation remain legally married.

Collaborative Divorce

Alternative for Divorcing couples

The Law Office of John A. Best knows divorce can be a difficult exercise in restructuring the family. In a Collaborative Divorce we focus on the interests of all family members with a special focus on the children.

It's a unique, reasonable approach to handling a divorce or other family law matter, founded on three core principles:

  • a written pledge not to fight in court, and withdrawal of the hired professionals if either party chooses to fight in court
  • open communication between the parties with an honest and good faith exchange of information
  • negotiations leading to a mutually acceptable settlement that takes into account the highest priorities of all family members


At the The Law Office of John A. Best we help divorcing and separating couples and families reach agreements through dialogue with full legal support from trained professionals.

With the help of practical long terms solutions, we can assist you and your family in moving forward. Our process can result in a better quality outcome with less stress and greater control than going to court.

Call or contact us for your initial consultation. We can help.


When you decide to proceed with a divorce there is a big question that arises;

Can I do it on my own or do I need to hire an attorney? It is possible to do a divorce pro se. However you might end up with an uneven split of property or lose out on your share of a retirement account. In Wisconsin all divorces are "no fault," meaning there is no blame put on any party for the dissolution of a marriage. Therefore all divorce proceedings focus on splitting marital assets and debt, the care and support of minor children and to determine if either party qualifies for maintenance.

The West Bend attorneys at the Law Office of John A. Best know there is no simple divorce, especially if there are children involved. There are many "gray areas" that we can guide you through for the best end result. A divorce is very emotional for both parties. That is why hiring an experienced attorney at the Law Office of John A. Best will be your first step in the right direction towards a new life. Please contact us for a consultation.

Custody and Child Support

Some of the most important decisions divorcing parents must make involve child support and child custody.

When two people have children together but then split apart, they will always remain somewhat connected because of the children. Custody and Child Support issues can continue until your children reach adulthood, and this can be very frustrating. The Law Office of John Best can help you work through the issues that have arisen. Wisconsin has guidelines to follow to determine child support. It is a good starting point but certain factors can alter the final amount. We take into consideration all issues and will argue for a reasonable child support figure. Once child support has been set it does not mean it is for life. Circumstances can change through the years and an experienced attorney can assist you in requesting the necessary change in child support.

When the Court determines custody of the minor children they look at what is in the best interest of the child. That may be accurate at the time of the divorce/separation, but circumstances change. The custodial parent may have been evicted and is homeless, or is in trouble with the law and maybe even spending time in jail or prison, or just plain is not giving the proper care and attention to the children. Custody can be changed and the Law Office of John A. Best can present the facts to the Court and argue your case for a change of placement. This is not an easy task, but with an experienced attorney by your side in court your chances of winning are far greater.

Please contact us for a consultation


Divorce Order Contempt Of Court

Unfortunately, not everyone obeys the Court's orders. As a result, it is often necessary to file a contempt action to encourage an ex-spouse to follow the court's order. A person not following any Order of the Court is in contempt. If you are in a situation where someone is not complying with an Order we can help you rectify the matter.Contact the Law Office of John A. Best and scheduled an appointment to meet with a knowledgeable attorney to review your case.


Adoption, the right attorney can be essential for the right plan that suits your family.

When a person decides to adopt a child they must understand it is not a speedy process. There are many steps in the adoption process. The biological parent(s) is still the legal guardian of the child, the biological parent(s) must be notified and Termination of Parental Rights must be initiated. The Court will also order evaluations to be completed on the adopting parties and interviews of all interested parties are done.

Contact the Law Office of John A. Best for a consultation.


Marriage, adoption, divorce, custody and child support are now issues that affect same-sex couples in the same ways as their opposite-sex counterparts.  Whether you need an officiant for your wedding or an attorney to assist with a legal issue, the Law Office of John A. Best is available to help.  We have worked tirelessly to obtain equal treatment for all in family court.

In addition to family matters, we are also able to assist transgender clients with name change petitions as well as updating and correcting documents.

Criminal Defense Law

Open AllClose All

We sort through all the police reports and information provided by the investigating agency to determine whether you have a defense to the charges.  With our knowledge and experience we are able to negotiate with the District Attorney to get positive results for you if you choose not to take your case to trial. We are able to appear on your behalf at most hearings without the need for you to be present. Therefore, you will not miss work and risk losing wages or even face termination. Although misdemeanor offenses have less severe consequences than felonies, we treat all cases seriously. The Law Office of John A. Best will give you the best advice as it relates to your specific case.

Contact the Law Office of John A. Best for a consultation. We will assess the complexity of your case and review the cost of our services.

Plea Bargain

Many criminal cases never reach the trial stage. The defendant and the state's attorney can enter into a settlement agreement known as a plea bargain.


While any criminal conviction is serious, a felony on your record can do the most damage to your life and can also affect your family. All felonies can potentially result in a prison sentence. Felony convictions also result in a lifetime firearm ban and the loss of certain other civil rights.  The Law Office of John A. Best will sort through the evidence, do our own investigation if necessary, and ensure that your rights are protected.

We look for any possible way to get your case dismissed or reduced to a misdemeanor.  If we cannot negotiate a fair resolution with the District Attorney we will advise you on the benefits or risks of taking your case to trial. We will give you the best advice as it relates to your specific case and if you choose to go to trial we will vigorously defend you. Your West Bend Attorney will be with you every step of the way, ensuring that your rights are protected through the entire legal process.

Contact the Law Office of John A. Best for a consultation and we will help you decide what direction you may want to go regarding your specific problem.

Jury Trial

If a case does go on to a jury trial,a coherent, persuasive explanation regarding why the defendant has been falsely accused is the goal.